Did you know that soon you could mint NFTs on Instagram? These unique collectibles have become very popular, with sales exceeding $24 billion in 2021 alone. NFT creators make up to millions of dollars selling these collectibles to fans. This may have you thinking, ‘How can I create NFT art?’
As a beginner venturing into the world of NFTs, creating NFTs may seem complex and demanding of technical know-how. But is it really? This guide offers a simple, step-by-step process for any user who wants to create NFT art, even if they have no artistic skills.
What is an NFT Art?
Non-fungible tokens, or NFTs, are digital assets that represent ownership of physical or digital items like music, in-game accessories, artwork, and videos. Now, NFT art defines collectibles specifically minted derived from physical or digital artwork. From this NFT art meaning, you may think that creating NFT art is for artists only, but that is not necessarily the case.
Creating an NFT art can be summarized into two main steps – drawing the artwork and tokenizing it on an NFT marketplace. To make your own NFT art, ensure that the art is original. Counterfeit NFT artworks are less likely collected by fans when listed for sale.
How to Create NFTs Art
How do you create NFT art if you have little or no art skills? Here’s how to get started:
1. Select a Blockchain
The first step to creating NFT artwork is to determine which blockchain you will use to mint your NFT. Many blockchains support NFT token standards, each with a unique offering. Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of different blockchains. Some factors to consider for this evaluation include security, number of users on the blockchain, average gas fees, and scalability of the blockchain. Select the blockchain that offers the best out of each category evaluated.
Ethereum is arguably the most established blockchain for NFTs. Other leading blockchains for minting NFTs are Solana, Avalanche, and Polygon. Each of these blockchains resolves the scalability and high gas fees in Ethereum. However, Ethereum remains the most preferred among NFT creators and fans.
This initial step of selecting a blockchain is critical as you ensure that your minting process is efficient and financially viable.
2. Create and Fund your Crypto Wallet
Tokenizing artwork incurs costs in most blockchains. So, after selecting a platform to create your NFT art, you need a funded crypto wallet to settle the fees. Ensure you select a wallet compatible with the blockchain platform you will be minting the NFT. MetaMask is a popular mobile and web-based walled, compatible with most NFT blockchains. To illustrate, here’s how to create and top up a MetaMask wallet.
- Go to the wallet’s website and select a download compatible with your device, either Chrome, Android, or iOS.
- Click the ‘Get Started’ tab and follow the prompts to create your wallet. Set your password when prompted, and tap ‘Create a Wallet’ to set up a new wallet. If you already have a MetaMask wallet, select ‘Import Wallet’ and follow prompts for recovering your wallet.
- Write down and safely store the generated secret recovery phrase offline. You will need the phrase to restore your wallet and funds when you cannot access the wallet.
- Top up your wallet with ETH, tapping ‘Buy ETH’ on the wallet’s home page.
- Select your mode of purchase, either using a credit card, bank transfer, or other convenient options available on the wallet.
- Proceed to purchase ETH by tapping on ‘Buy Now’. Your wallet balance will update shortly after the purchase.
3. Create NFT art
With your wallet topped up and blockchain selected, you can now create NFT art. Artwork can be physical or digitally generated. For artists, this process is relatively straightforward – use your creative skills to draw the artwork you will tokenize. If you are creating your work with prospects of selling to fans, ensure your artwork is eye-catching. This way, fans will demand more of your NFT artwork.
Creating NFT art is not limited to artists. Art novices and creators with no artistic skills can hire digital artists or developers to create digital art NFTs. For instance, creating NFT collections with 10,000 ape characters requires the artist to have programming skills. Alternatively, the artist could hire a developer to help them generate the artwork. Also, the creator may hire an artist to draw the artwork they will tokenize.
Now, you can mint your artwork in these steps:
- Create an account on the marketplace and follow prompts to connect your crypto wallet.
- Tap on ‘Create’ (on the top-right if you use Rarible or OpenSea).
- Proceed to upload your digital art file, insert a name, art description, and fill in other properties of the art item or collection.
- Select the blockchain you chose earlier to create NFT art online. You can add the NFT price at this stage or later.
- Tap ‘Create’, and your NFT art is set up!
NFT for Beginners
NFT art creators do not have to be experts at drawing artwork or coding. Enthusiastic beginners looking to be NFT creators can hire experts in their respective fields to create digital art. This option is beneficial as the experts understand the NFT art market better and can generate NFT art that will be highly demanded by fans. Think of making NFT art? Jump right in and get started with this guide.
What does NFT stand for?
NFT is an acronym for non-fungible tokens. NFTs are powered by blockchain technology – a distributed decentralized ledger system secured by cryptography, mainly eliminating the need for central governing authority. This technology supports NFT token standards that ensure each minted collectible is digitally unique and rare.
Do you have to be an artist to create an NFT?
No. You can hire an experienced artist and pay them to create digital artwork for you. Then, you can tokenize the artwork on your blockchain of choice.